State-owned GSM operator Nepal Telecom launched Nepal’s and Indian sub-continent’s first 3G service on May 17.
The 3G SIM card reportedly cost Nepali Rs 4,195 (US$64.50) with 3G tariffs similar to that of prepaid rates.
Meanwhile, Pakistan Telecommunication Authority has released guidelines for the running of MVNOs. Pakistan had 58.39 million mobile subscribers at the end of April 2007.
- Mobilink = 25.21 million subscribers
- Ufone = 12.49 million subscribers
- Warid = 9.71 million subscribers
- Telenor = 9.63 million subscribers
- Paktel = 1.02 million subscribers
- Instaphone = 333,000 subscribers