Economic Times has an article on Nokia India’s strategy to not go down against its rivals like Apple, Google and Indian brands. The most important part of the article is the numbers.
- Nokia’s market share reduced from about 64% in 2008-09 to nearly 52% in 2009-10
- Samsung gained from 10% to above 17%
- In the past 3 years, Micromax, Spice and Karbonn have emerged from nowhere to become number 3, 4 and 5 respectively
- Nokia India, which is second biggest market for the company after China, contributed Rs 18,000 crore to the company’s worldwide sales in 2009
- The Indian mobile handset market has grown by 30.17 % from 116 million handsets in 2008, to 151 million handsets in 2009, as per Analysys Mason data
- As per a CyberMedia Research report, the Indian mobile handset market will grow 25% by volume in 2011 to 210 million units with smartphones contributing sales of nearly 12 million units in 2011